GAPS Intro Diet: The Cliff Notes
- Homemade meat or ﬁsh stock: Make with marrow bones [split down the middle), meaty neck bones, knuckles, and ribs. Keep all the soft tissue and fats so you can eat them in soups.
- Homemade soup: Use homemade stock and boil any of the following veggies for 20-30 min: onions, carrots, broccoli, leeks, cauliﬂower, zucchini, squash, pumpkin, and other non-starchy veggies. No cabbage and celery, etc. Remove skin, seeds and stalks. Blend. Add meat/tissues used in cooking the stock. Add probiotic food with every bowl of soup and cup of stock.
- Probiotic foods: Essential to introduce now. juices from homemade veggie ferments are best, whey from homemade yogurt is excellent if there are no issues with dairy or sensitivity test comes back okay. Start with 1-2 t/day then slowly increase until there are a few teaspoons in every cup of stock and every bowl of soup.
Whey: good for those prone to diarrhea.
Fermented veggie juice: good for those prone to constipation.
- Tea: Ginger tea, mint or chamomile, with a little honey. Don’t buy teas from store, just use fresh ginger, mint or chamomile.
Second Stage (incl. previous stage)
- Egg yolks: If questionable, do a sensitivity test. If okay add raw egg yolk to every bowl of soup and cup of stock, starting with 1/day.
- Stews and casseroles: No spices, just salt and fresh herbs. Higher fat content = faster recovery
- Probiotics: Keep increasing probiotic intake. If whey is okay, add homemade yogurt (test if necessary), then homemade keﬁr. Kefir is much stronger than yogurt, so go slowly. Introduce fermented ﬁsh or Swedish gravlax.
- Ghee: Made with grass-fed, unsalted butter. Start with 1t/day. Ghee is usually okay for most people regardless of other dairy product issues.
Third Stage (incl. previous stages)
- Add ripe avocado mashed into soups: start with 1-3 t/ day and gradually increase
- Add pancakes: There should only be three ingredients: nut butter, eggs, and a piece of squash or zucchini. Fry using ghee, goose fat or duck fat.
- Scrambled eggs: Scramble with plenty of ghee, goose fat, pork fat or duck fat. Serve with avocado and cooked veggies. Cooked onion is awesome for digestive and immune systems: melt appropriate fat, add sliced white onions, cover and cook for 20-30 minutes on low.
- Fermented veggies: Introduce the actual fermented veggies, not just the juice.
Fourth Stage (incl. previous stages)
- Meats: Add meats cooked by roasting/grilling. Avoid burned/browned meats. Eat with veggies and fermented veggies.
- Olive oil: Add cold-pressed olive oil to every meal, start with a few drops and increase to 1~2Tbs
- Juices: Start with a few tsp of fresh carrot juice [not store bought). Consume slowly. Upgrade to a full cup/day. When okay, add to it celery, cabbage, lettuce and fresh mint leaves. Take on empty stomach in the morning. This is a good detox.
- Bread: Bake bread with the following ingredients: nut ﬂour, eggs, squash, fat, salt. Start small
Fifth Stage (incl. previous stages]
- Cooked apple: peel and core an apple. Cook and mash with plenty of ghee or animal fat.
- Raw veggies: start with softer parts of lettuce and peeled cucumber. When tolerated, add carrot, tomato, onion, cabbage, etc.
- Juices: If previous stage is tolerated, add fruits like apple, pineapple and mango. Avoid citrus.
Sixth Stage (incl. previous stages)
- Raw apple: if juices are okay, introduce peeled raw apple. Slowly try raw fruit and more honey.
- Baked goodies: introduce GAPS-approved sweet things. Use onlv dried fruit as sweetener.